Carlingford & the Cooley Penninsula
Less than an hours drive from Ireland's two major cities, Carlingford nestles between Slieve Foy, Carlingford Lough and the Mourne mountains. A unique blend of natural beauty, spectacular panoramas, myths & legends combine with a modern day cultural infrastructure; 9 reputable restaurants, 7 cosy pubs, 15 special places to stay, craft & antique shops, adventure centres, yacht charter, Cookery School and much more.
Walking the medieval streets of Carlingford, you can still see most of the original ancient buildings - all within a 5 minute walk. Carlingford is at the centre of much more too;
Within an hours drive:
- Newgrange - the famous 3,000BC prehistoric burial chambers
- Proleek Dolmen standing stones
- Ancient Hill of Tara - seat of the High Kings of Ireland.
- Visit www.heritageireland.ie for more info.
- Battle of the Boyne site
- 15 golf courses
- The spectacular Mountains of Mourne
- Slieve Gullion forest drive
- Mellifont abbey - first Cistercian monastery in Ireland, 1142
- Trim Castle - largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, 1172
- Cooley Distillery
Within two hours drive:
- Giant's Causeway - a World Heritage Site
- Spectacular Antrim Coast drive
- Strangford Lough